Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY) is a new scheme which is going to be implemented soon by the central government. Through the PMGPY scheme, the government will offer interest-free loans for women self-help group to purchase commercial passenger vehicles. This scheme would be implemented along the lines of ongoing rural scheme 'Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana'. This scheme would be implemented soon to offer interest-free loan on commercial vehicles in areas where the roads have been previously constructed under PM Gram Sadak Yojana.
Brief About Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY)
The Government of India has implemented a new scheme known as 'Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana' in connection with the ministry of transport and ministry of rural development to provide a boost to transportation in rural India. Through this scheme, the government will augment and regulate transportation facilities in remote and rural areas in the country. There are yet numerous places where there is no transportation option available and people need to walk several miles to reach transport facilities.
The PMGPY is a rural transportation program which will allow people to enjoy transport facilities in remote villages and also create employment opportunity for locals of the remote area or villages. This project will start from Bilaspur district in Chhattisgarh and covers about 20 areas of north-eastern states. Through this scheme, famous rural vehicles will be sold at a subsidized rate. However, a subsidy of 30.35% will be provided to passenger vehicles that can accommodate about 1012 people. These transport facilities are employed to link remote villages.
The locals can purchase these vehicles at subsided costs and then use it for commercial purposes. About 80000 commercial passenger vehicles will be offered in rural areas. The PMGPY has been implemented to complement the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana which was implemented in 2000. Under this scheme, several roads have been constructed in several rural areas that have made commuting in & out of these areas extremely easy and possible. Just having roads are not sufficient enough. Due to a shortage of transportation, people need to walk a long distance before they access any transportation facility.
To address this issue, a new scheme is going to be implemented which will regulate transportation in such village areas. The Yojana also aims at creating employment in these locations by offering public vehicles at cheaper rates. It will create employment opportunities for locals as well.
Objective Of PMGPY
The main aim of PMGPY is to enhance the public transport facility and create employment facilities in rural areas. Under this scheme, the government wishes to bridge the gap taking place between cities and villages where the roads have been launched but there is very less or no public transport.
Initially, through the scheme, the government would offer interest-free loans for about 1500 commercial vehicles in 250 blocks all over the nation. The maximum seating capacity of the commercial vehicle must be 10 people. The scheme might be further extended to offer loan to 80000 commercial passenger vehicles all over the country.
A maximum loan amount of Rs. 6 lakh would be offered under PMGPY scheme and the loan tenure would be 6 months. The government has previously conducted a survey on rural areas of Bilaspur in Chattisgarh to analyze the possibility of the scheme.
Advantages Of Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana
- Employment & income for people below poverty level (BPL) family
- Benefits through public vehicles implemented in remote areas that will create commute much easier for travelers.
- Purchasing public vehicles at lower rates for local people living in villages or remote areas
- Provides 80000 commercial passenger vehicles at subsidized costs in rural areas
- Benefits numerous people, especially children and women who survive in remote areas
Features Of Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana is known to be a rural transport program which provides transportation amenities in remote areas.
- Moreover, it offers employment & a basic income for locals of village or remote area. Primarily, this scheme will take-off from Bilaspur district in Chattisgarh and hence it will cover exactly 20 locations of north-eastern states.
- Very popular rural vehicles will be sold at a sponsored rate through this scheme. Passenger vehicles which can accommodate up to 10 to 12 people can get a subsidy of 30 to 35%.
- These types of vehicles are initially utilized in remote villages. The neighbors can buy this transportation at subsided costs & then use them commercially.
- The Government has select tribal, BPL families and self-help associations for operating these transport services victoriously. About 80000 commercial vehicles will be available in countryside regions.
Eligibility Criteria For PMGPY
- Under this scheme, the central government will offer loans to the commercial vehicle in rural vehicles all over the country. To avail the facility through this scheme, the vehicle should be a commercial vehicle.
- The vehicles must not include more than 10 people as passengers. It means that there must be 10 seat maximum present in the commercial vehicle. No heavy vehicle must include more than 10 people will be found eligible.
- Additionally, the vehicles must operate 20 to 22 km every day which will link at least 10 to 12 villages in various blocks or within the same block.
- The scheme will also benefit women populace in rural areas. PMGPY will offer interest-free loan for the women self-help group so that they can purchase commercial passenger vehicles for purpose of business.
- The government will choose women self-help associations, tribal people and BPL families for operating these transportation services successfully.
Thus, Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana will be introduced by Modi Government to create transportation facility in rural areas. PMGPY is one such scheme which will offer subsidies for rural transportation. There are several rural villages in India which do not have proper transportation mode. Under this scheme, villages or rural areas will get benefitted massively.